26th March 2005
So, here we are, my first update! It's been about a month since I agreed to be Doris' new keeper, but it's taken that long to put everything in place to make it happen. I'm well pleased, been grinning from ear to ear all day!
After visiting Spag on 24th/25th We decided the best bet was to bring Doris round on the trailer in the morning on 26th (saturday), which worked out well as the traffic wasn't too bad, despite it being Easter weekend.
So, on to some photos...
Doris arrives at her new home!
Unloading from trailer
Doris in her new house
No real action taken today, took me most of the day to find places to stash all the spares that Spag gave me with the car, I think actually my parents were more concerned with the volume of bits that came in, rather than with the arrival of the car itself!
27th March 2005
Again, no major work to report, but did some playing...
First up, oil leaks (Grrrr). 12 hours of standing produces this much oil.
And the drip rate seems to increase to about 1 drip every 5 to 10 seconds when the engine is running at idle. So, up on ramps to see if anything can be done to stem the flow a little.
Doris on ramps (complete with "low noise" silencers):
Basically just had a look round and tightened up anything that seemed a bit loose. Suspect a couple of threads in the gearbox casing are a bit stripped... Anyway, I think the oil may be dripping *slightly* slower now.
Also found a completely pointless vacuum gauge kicking around, so decided to see if it works. I noticed Spag had used the same pipes etc for the windscreen washer as for vacuum connections to everything, so seeing as Doris wont be on the road for a couple of months, I decided to cannibalise the washer system to connect up the guage.
So, having proved the gauge works, I think that'll be going in the dashboard at some point, even if it is purely to have a cosmetic "bouncing needle".
Offered up one of the alloy wheels I have spare, to see if the look might suit the car. Once Doris' current tyres are shot, these wheels will be going on anyway methinks, as they have good tread.
Also just did a few other bits & pieces really:
Put the tyre pressures up - Note: Need a 12v socket in Doris!
Looked in to places to put badges and things
And painted some rusty metal (yes, there is a bit) with stop-rust
and so on...
So, I've had a great weekend really! :)