[ Back ] [ Next ]
2nd-3rd November, Action - Gearystuff.
With the engine together it was time to open the gearbox and
swap the diff crown wheel and pinion for the trial set.
Much to my surprise, having remembered the backwards thread, the
pinion nut came undone without needing to resort to the 3 foot breaker bar
usually required for gear bits! The diff housing came off of the box quite easily and after a
mild hernia lifting the diff out, the crownwheel unbolted and separated OK. The retaining plate for the 3rd motion bearing needed a little
'fettling' to clear the pinion, but apart from that everything slotted
back together quite nicely.
Diffy box pics
Also found a bit of time to chop some more micra up.. magicspanner.co.uk/v8_micra
9th November, Action - Rebuild
Stuck the engine, gearbox & transfer box back together, then
lobbed it into the car.
Played around with the bonnet scoopy thing and having finally
decided the shape is OK started the perilous stage of actually making the mould.
Covered the pattern with some release wax stuff then added a few layers of resin
& fiberglass mat stuff.
17th-18th November, Action - Brace bars & moulds
With the engine refitted I started tidying up odd bits of
welding and decided to remake the brace bars holding the subframe.
The old bars were 1.5mm thick 20 mm box, but I fancied something
a bit stronger so made the new ones from 2mm thick 25mm box. The mounting plates
to the shell have also been upgraded to 3mm thick steel. Next step will be
to reinforce the floorpan and solid mount the bottom subframe mounts.
Had slightly less success with the scoop, as when I tried to get
the pattern back out of the fiberglass a few chunks remained :-( Seems like I
had not used enough release wax so there is an hours sanding to get the extra
bits back out!
Brace bars &
23rd-24th November, Action (it's becoming a habit again...)
Spent some time on Saturday finishing the wiring & plumbing
and made a new bolt on bracket thing to hold the front radiator. After a bit of
brain fade on the HT lead order I got the engine running again... Hmmm nice v8
On Sunday it was operation Pievan Recovery.
The Pievan has now moved to it's new home and is eagerly looking
forward to having a V8 shoved in it's rear (prob'ly), but I told it it would
have to wait until Doris is finished
Pievan page updated with some
pics of the shell
[ Back ] [ Next ]